History

Organized in 1946 to produce zinc oxide for sale to the coating industry in the United States and Europe, the company has grown steadily though continual product improvement and development. The first plant was in Chicago, but within a year manufacturing was moved to East Helena, Montana. In 1962, the company developed its first copper oxides. By the early 1970’s Chemet was producing copper oxides for catalysts, agriculture, ceramics, chemical, and ferrite applications; and cuprous oxide for antifouling paint. In 2010, American Chemet purchased the copper assets from US Metal Powders and formed Royal Metal Powders Inc. Three years later, in 2013, American Chemet expanded the Royal Metal Powder business through the acquisition of the copper business of Horsehead Corporation. Chemet continued its expansion in 2014 by investing in new cupric oxide production technology. Today, American Chemet continues to expand and innovate to meet the needs of its customers.

 

 
Chemet_2011
Chemet_1949
East Helena, MT site circa 1949, soon after moving from Chicago
Chemet_1971
East Helena, MT site circa 1971; American Chemet’s 25th Anniversary